I am a sideways creator. I travel my own route, follow what feels right to me. I will listen to what others say, and test out their rules and their methods. If the rules or the methods feel right, I use them. If not, I shift a bit to the left or right, sideways, the direction my heart is telling me, and go forward from there.
These are my current rules for creating sideways:
- I am the Creator of my creations. No one else is.
- There are no Rules with a capital ‘R’.
- I get to make up any rules I want for myself, but I can’t impose these on anyone else.
- I can add, change, discard, and break my rules any time I wish.
- I can make up different rules for each thing I create.
- I can make up no rules at all for my creating.
- My rules are only a starting point.
- I can try out anyone else’s rules if I feel like it, and see if they work for me.
- The best rules come from my heart. What do I love? What feels good and makes me happy? What do I want to play with? What do I want to share?
- My rules are play.
There are key words here for the creating sideways method. Feeling. Heart. For myself. Love. Happy. Play. Share. This is all I need, all I need carry with me into my studio and into my life.